2:55: Wake. Try to slip back into sleep, but bladder is uncomfortably full.
3:07: Give up on sleep and tiptoe to the bathroom.
3:08: Return to bed. Motion wakes baby.
3:09: Nurse baby.
3:20: Baby is awake, but still sleepy, and extremely affectionate. Attempt to corral baby, without waking bedmates, as baby squirms about:
- Wiggle to the other side; nurse more.
- Stare dreamily at the space image the nightlight projects on the ceiling.
- Stroke Mama’s hair.
- Twiddle, poke, and knead Mama; Mama restrains hands.
- Sit up; belch and toot simultaneously. Look proud.
- Examine Mama’s teeth.
- Examine own lack of teeth.
- Stick Mama’s fingers in mouth so Mama can feel said lack of teeth.
- Bite Mama’s arm. Stop when Mama whispers, “Ow.”
- Wiggle to the other side; nurse more. Don’t bite, thankfully.
- Try to skedaddle up to the headboard. Foiled again.
- Snag sister’s water from the nightstand; drink. Spill surprisingly little.
- Kick back and check out the nightlight while drinking water and getting a foot rub.
- Give Mama a big, drooly, open-mouthed kiss on the forehead.
- Lay down and nestle close to Mama; sigh.
4:37: Grab Mama’s phone. Read email and check Facebook together.
4:47: Mama hides phone so baby will sleep.
4:50: More squirming (see above).
5:20: Baby finally sleeps.
5:27: Mama gets up to start her day.